Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Simple Things

The other day I found myself free to wander the city for a whole day with no real agenda. It was quite lovely, minus the fact that it was chilly and breezy! After wandering around Lincoln Park I ended up at Treasure Island ("America's Most European Supermarket" or at least that's what it wants you to believe). I love the variety of foods available at Treasure Island, but it's not very European. I've been to several grocery stores in Europe and believe me, this store is just too Americanized to claim that title!

Anyhow, while wandering the aisles I found fresh (fresh! It was still warm) baguettes, pâté and a wedge of raclette cheese. I was in heaven! To complete my little French plat I bought a bottle of La Vielle Ferme red wine.




I didn't even wait to tear into the bread!! I started eating it on the bus! I was covered in crumbs (because I am a messy American, how do the French break bread without making a mess?) and felt like I was back in France for one quick moment.

I discovered that I don't really like pâté that much, it's fine, but I prefer fois gras, and that raclette is one of my all time favorite "fromages". I now wish that I hadn't had a headache the day my host mother made the Raclette dish. I would have eaten more and she would have made it more often! Nothing beats a great stinky cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment